The Malta Embellishment Landscaping Project started operation on 1st November 2002 under the first agreement of Private Public Partnership in Malta. Environment Landscapes Consortium Ltd was chosen to run the function of the Urban and Rural Landscaping Section (URL) which was responsible for the urban and rural landscaping of various sites in Malta that fall under the responsibility of the Central Government. As a result of the agreement, all employees with URL together with all operating sites and equipment were loaned to the Consortium.
The role of the Consortium under the agreement is:
- the embellishment of traffic islands, gardens, and roundabouts, particularly by means of fountains and floral displays;
- the landscaping of major thoroughfares, public gardens and parks that fall under the responsibility of the Government;
- the carrying out of other landscaping and gardening operations, such as upgrading works in housing estates, environmental projects and upgrading works at main touristic areas;
- the improvement of afforested areas;
- the landscaping of the public gardens specified in the document
- the development of the resources of Wied Incita Nursery and any other Government nursery to provide for the requirements of any assignment, undertaking or project under this Agreement; and
- any other assignment, undertaking or project as may be required by the Government from time to time,
The project is supervised by MELP Monitoring Unit under the Chairman, Arch. Daniel Cordina.
After five years the agreement was improved through an addendum and extended up to the end of 2012. Then in 2012 other improvement were made by a second addendum which has extended the contract until 31st December 2019.
Malta Embellishment and Landscaping Project
Department of Agriculture, San Anton Gardens
Attard ATD 1290
Tel: 356 21493170/1
Fax: 356 21493176